Thursday, June 14, 2012
My "not-so-lazy-days-of-summer" OR...Hello...It's been a while! :)
It has been a long time folks...Don't worry, I haven't changed my focus so quickly to decide to no longer write. I have been SO busy, and I do not know why. Summer is here, and the times should be slower...you know, the lazy days of summer...NOT true for us. My calendar seems to be less crowded with activities, yet I actually have not had a spare moment to sit down and write a thing. Why?
1. I have (with Sophie's help) matched around 200 pairs of socks. 2 full laundry baskets of neglected sock marriages have been made! This is not an exaggeration; it might be a larger number in all honesty. Half were Eric's work socks, but still!!!!
2. I have made more time for friends. We just hang out at the park with our kids or meet for coffee, but TIME is passing. Things might not be getting done, but relationships are growing or at least maintaining the same status.
3. Gardening...little garden on my back deck and a big one at my parents. Also, my roses look pretty good this year. Kari's definition of Gardening: God allowing me to be used to SEE His creative creation flourish as He uses my hands as His artistic medium. Plus, it feels like free food...although I guess time is the commodity instead of money.
4. I painted a little, and I have used 3 actual, literal canvases to create some "art" that I needed to get out of my head. Peace of mind has been achieved to a degree.
5. I have taken time to just BE which is the example God gave me. I could call it meditating, I guess...but, it's more like noticing, being awed by thoughts I have, sitting in silence, listening for the sound of God which occurs outdoors, always in nature...alone with God in the place He made for me.
6. Making hairbows...not a necessary thing, but fun and relaxing. Cheaper than buying them already made...plus, I have 3 girls...and a niece.
7. Playing games...I rediscovered the game of Life. My kids started playing it like 5 times a day, so I joined them. That game is FUN, seriously fun. Now, Sophie is old enough to understand and play the card game, Spades, very well...so, we can play card games with just our family now! AND, We are going to have one game night per month and invite others over...June's was a success but was shortened when the neighbors lost their daughters, and we went all over the neighborhood yelling for them and looking for them (they were found hiding under the covers of their parents bed after 10 terrifying minutes...those girls should be thankful that I was not their mama around correction time).
8. Much more cooking and baking happening in my kitchen, and I am keeping up with all the dishes that this produces!
9. I am seeing some time creep back into my day for writing which is good. I gotta finish writing about my bad stuff which seems like ancient history now... :)
10. Things still on my summer list: finish painting 2 rooms, hang curtains in playroom, move Sophie into the bedroom with Emi to make a room for our exchange student coming in the fall, organize my basement again now that the garage sale is over, and finish the last paperwork to get a couple classes scheduled to actually get my counseling Masters started, get all doctor visits over with for the kids, me, and the dog, AND definitely, positively....keeping up with the sock marriages in my home (i.e.matching socks after each load of laundry).
What is your summer like? I hope you are making memories whatever you are doing. If you seem just as busy as ever and cannot figure out why...make a list. Doing that helped me see what I AM getting done; I was pleasantly surprised to see that I am making a difference, my kids definitely enjoy me more in the summer!
God bless you! Kari